Wednesday 2 March 2011

02/Mar/2011 BeoSound 9000


If you have seen one of these in real life, I promise you, that you won't forget it. It's called the BeoSound 9000. In the UK, it costs a staggering £3,475, which is a lot for a CD player.


In a range of David Lewis designed Bang&Olufsen products, the BeoSound 9000 is by far my favorite. I first knew Bang&Olufsen was from a brochure on my stepdad's book shelf, a picture of the BeoSound 9000 made me remembered its name and it has somehow made me choose to study design.  


Looking at the BeoSound 9000 is like observing a beautiful piece of modern art installation. Every line is straight, every edge is perpendicular, every part is made from aluminium or glass. While the black bit with mechanisms inside has lots of lines to make it look rather complex, the CD cabinet is only covered by a single piece of glass showing its pure simplicity. Put it in any environment, it will stand out from the crowed. 


I can't afford to own one, I have never used one, but however, I have seen one working before, about four years ago, and I still remember it. The glass cover swings open and close silently and beautifully, the CD clamper moves between the six discs quickly with elegance, as the CD starts spinning, the sound starts flowing out immediately. Its detail to attention is another reason it makes people having the desire to own one. Insert a CD with the graphic and texts upright, after the machine finished playing the CD, the graphic and texts on the CD will be back to upright again. 



While other electronic product makers trying to make their products as unnoticeable in an interior space as possible, but all Bang&Olufsen products are designed to be standing in front of the furniture, they want to be seen. Their products are not only nice to look at, they can also be used to help arranging better visual effects of the space it's being placed at, which is why most of Bang&Olufsen products have so many ways of installations. Take the BeoSound 9000 for example, it could be installed on the wall, on a stand or just simply placed on a top surface of a table or cabinet. 



I really think glass and aluminium go very well together, they all have their different natural beauty as well as giving people a feel of cutting edge technology, polished aluminium has an advantage of reflecting colours from the surroundings, which I think is a reason David Lewis applies it to so many of his designs for Bang&Olufsen.



One thing staggers me the most when I first knew the BeoSound 9000, was that it was designed in 1996. 

No comments:

Post a Comment