Tuesday 11 October 2011

10/Oct/2011 A little tribute to Steve Jobs

I heard the news a few hours after he passed away, probably. My friend told me the sad news. 

At the time, I was discussing with my group mate on how to make our group PowerPoint presentation more attractive over Skype. 

Then all of a sudden our conversation came to a pause, because of the news.

It felt like the moment when I heard Michael Jackson passed away. Two very different people, from two very different business, but they all left their marks in the pages of history.

I loved Apple products, I own a MacBook Pro and an iPad, i owned an iPod Touch but I sold it. I enjoyed using them, I admired Steve Jobs for his innovation, but at the same time I never cared about his presentation and so on. I didn't care when he resigned from Apple's CEO. 

When I heard that he died, I started thinking what he had done for Apple, what's more, for the world.

Apple made neither the world's first computer nor the world's first laptop, but they did make the worlds first mouse, and the first windows style OS, which Microsoft was later given permit to use a similar thing. I love Apple products, I have my MacBook Pro for over four years now and even though I am getting used to Windows 7 on my VAIO, I still think the Mac OS is a much better OS.

Life in the last century was significantly slower than now. Apple's three products in the 21st century had changed the world one way or another. 

First was the iPod, together with the iTunes service, had completely  re-written the personal music player market. 

Then there was the iPhone, without it, touch screen phones wouldn't have dominated the high-end mobile phone market today. The first generation iPhone was the first touch screen phone that actually worked. The iPhone OS and the fact that anybody could go and make an app were rather the more convincing reasons to the success of the iPhone. Steve Jobs was such a genius on delivering user experience to Apple's customers, and more to the point, he was such a genius because he knew how to promote the advantages of his products, and the fact the more people using them, the more they get better. 

Finally there was the iPad. Before its announcement, tablet PCs were normal laptop computers with screens being able to twist. Everybody looked at the specification sheets of the iPad and ran about telling it would be rubbish. After just 80 days of the release of the first generation iPad, Apple had sold 3 million of them. Again, it was all about the user experience. With an iPad, you do many jobs a proper computer could do, and at the same time it provided convenience as it was light and thin and you didn't have to wait forever for it to start, as well as the amusement you get from the whipping and tapping on the screen with your fingers. So the result is that all the tablet PCs from all the manufacturers you see on the market today, were more or less inspired by the iPad. 

So with Steve Jobs gone, could Apple carry on their magic? The answer is certainly yes, because in the short 56 years of Steve Jobs' life time, he had inspired and opened the eyes for so many young designers. 

R.I.P Steve Jobs (1955-2011), the man who inspired our generation of young designers so much.


Image from the official UK Apple website

No comments:

Post a Comment